Pig inventory down 18% in second quarter
September 16, 2021 | 00h00
MANILA, Philippines – The country’s pig stocks fell nearly 18 percent in early July, as pork production fell further in the second quarter.
Data from the Statistics Authority of the Philippines (PSA) showed the country’s pig inventory stood at 9.64 million head at the end of July, up from 11.74 million head in the same period. last year.
The pig population on backyard farms and commercial farms declined 11.8% and 29.8%, respectively, the PSA said.
Of the total pig population, 71.3 percent were raised on backyard farms while the remaining 28.7 percent came from commercial farms.
The Western Visayas recorded the highest pig population with 1.18 million heads.
Next come northern Mindanao with 1.13 million head and the central Visayas with 1.12 million head.
The three regions accounted for 35.6 percent of the country’s total pig inventory, or 3.4 million head.
During this time, total pig production has been estimated at 406,066 metric tonnes (MT), live weight. This is a decrease of 26.2 percent from production of 550,017 tonnes liveweight in the same quarter last year.
The PSA reported that 10 regions of the country saw a decline in pig production, with central Luzon recording the largest drop at 77.1% to 23,952 MT.
Based on the latest ASF zoning map from the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI), the majority of central Luzon provinces remain in the red zone or remain infected with African swine fever.
In contrast, Central Visayas was the leading producer of pigs during the quarter with production of 55,152 MT liveweight.
Then come northern Mindanao and the Western Visayas with 52,824 MT and 47,231 MT respectively.
The three regions collectively shared 38.2 percent of the country’s total pork production at 155,207 MT.
Meanwhile, the average farm price of pigs upgraded for slaughter during the quarter was 164.71 pesos per kilogram, live weight.
This was 51.6 percent higher than the average farm gate price for the same quarter of the previous year of P 108.66 per kilogram of live weight.
The highest farm gate price was recorded in April at 167.11 pesos per kilogram of live weight, while the lowest in June was 160.94 pesos per kilogram of live weight.